Portland, October 12th. More hardworking families in need will have Habitat for Humanity homes thanks to the generosity of fun-loving donors like Susie Vischer, Dick Firsich, Jim Boyer, Barbara Boyer, Sharon Firsich. They’re toasting the success of Habitat Hard Hat & Black Tie Dinner Benefit Auction at The Nines which raised $169,000. (Photo credit, Sarah Galbraith Photography)
From Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East:
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East serves Multnomah County and northern Clackamas County and has the ability to reach out to families one step away from homelessness. Habitat sells homes to hardworking people in need of decent, affordable housing. We are an independent affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a non-denominational Christian housing ministry and global home building movement. We welcome people from all walks of life to partner with our program to serve families in need with generosity, humility and love.
Habitat offers homeownership opportunities to families making $21,900 – $43,800 (for a family of four) by selling homes at cost, making no profit, after the family contributes 500 sweat equity hours. Houses are sold at cost because of volunteer labor and donations. Families pay a 1% down payment on a 0%- interest mortgage. Instead of being in a vulnerable and fragile economic position, Habitat families find themselves in a position of strength.
As the oldest Habitat for Humanity affiliate on the West Coast, and the largest in Oregon, Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East has served low-income, hardworking families for over 30 years and has served over 200 families. Our homeowners are committed and successful. We have experienced less than a 1% default rate on our mortgages, lower than the national average. By providing a hand up, not a handout, our program maintains the dignity and pride of our homeowner families.
A community where everyone has a simple, decent, affordable place to live; and where poverty housing is unacceptable.
To create successful homeownership by partnering hardworking families in need with the community to build healthy, affordable homes.
- Diversity and Inclusiveness – We believe that all people deserve a simple, decent place to live, and have something to contribute in building homes and helping our communities. We welcome people from all walks of life to partner with our program.
- Homeownership – We believe in the power of homeownership to affirm dignity, encourage hope, and transform lives. A healthy, stable home improves the quality of life, both for the family and the community.
- Families as Partners – We believe that dignity is promoted not simply by living in an adequate house, but by fully contributing to the process of building and buying that home and helping others acquire adequate shelter.
- Volunteerism – We believe in the volunteer spirit and are committed to offering rewarding volunteer experiences.
- Stewardship – We are committed to excellence, to efficient use of our financial, environmental, and human resources, and we are accountable to our funders, volunteers, and family partners.
- Collaboration – We strive to create strong, productive partnerships with organizations and area housing providers toward our common goal of eliminating substandard housing.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is a not-for-profit, 501(c)3 organization. If you would like more information about our organization or programs, please contact us at 503-287-9529. Thank you for your interest!