Portland, March 4th, 2016. Girls Inc. of the Pacific Northwest hosted the organization’s 11th annual Power of the Purse fundraising gala at the Hilton. The event raised nearly $350,000 to provide programming that inspires girls ages 6-18 years old to be, “Strong, Smart, and Bold.” The audience cheered for Girls Inc. girl, Lana, and her team, designer Carol Risley, and entertainer Daria Eliuk.
500 guests shops at the silent auction and Boutique of 25 local vendors. During a runway live auction, supporters bid on one-of-a-kind purses designed by 12 teams of ‘Purse-o-nalities’ and local Designers. Girls Inc. girls were the stars of the evening as they modeled their Purse-o-nalities’ purses on the catwalk and shared their vision of the future with attendees.
Girls Inc. of the Pacific Northwest offers programs for girls 6-18 around the greater Portland area. Girls Inc. programs focus on developing healthy behaviors, adopting new life skills, and encouraging girls to reach higher. Our proven curriculum provides age-appropriate, research-based, and culturally relevant content for girls to explore.
Girls who participate enjoy the following:
- Create meaningful, supportive peer groups that encourage female solidarity
- Grow self-esteem that carries over to home, school, and the community
- Develop sound decision-making and communication skills
- Assert themselves as confident individuals throughout their lives
- Build key leadership skills and strong work ethics