Portland, February 8th, 2013. The 14th Annual Slough Celebration was an evening of merriment and competitive auction bidding which raised almost $23,000. All proceeds support the The Columbia Slough Watershed Council’s work educating the community and improving the health of local watersheds. Bureau of Environmental Services staff members congratulated Leadership Award winner, Toby Query. (Photo credit, Kenny MacDonald)
Each Leadership and Achievement award winner was honored with a humorous video describing the winner’s efforts.
We are a diverse group of stakeholders who work to restore and enhance the 60 miles of waterways known as the Columbia Slough, located in Portland, Gresham, and Fairview. We provide outdoor education, recreation opportunities and restoration in Columbia Slough Watershed.
We recognized seven award winners this year:
2012 Leadership Awards
- Rex Burkholder-Metro Councilor
- Toby Query-City of Portland Bureau of Environmental Services Ecologist
2012 Achievement Awards
- City of Gresham-Columbia Slough Water Quality Facility
- Elena Mark-Portland Public Schools
- Port of Portland-Portland International Airport Deicing System Enhancements
- Katy Weil-Metro
2013 Whitaker Ponds Award
- Catherine Trzybinski and Chris Lastomirsky: Creativity and leadership in mural project.
Kenny MacDonald of Recorded History was our photographer and video editor. The video team of Susan Barthel, Nancy Hendrickson, Megan Hanson, Sheilagh Diez, Julie Matney and Penny Beckwith developed and directed the stories. The filming work was done by volunteer Jeremy Hogeweide and the video team. Many friends and co-workers of the award winners provided the acting talent.