Northwest Academy is committed to inspiring students to discover their intellectual and artistic voices in a creative and supportive atmosphere fueled by curiosity and constructive challenge.
Northwest Academy will be recognized as a center of excellence in proficiency-based education, artfully blending academic instruction and experience. Graduates of the school will be innovative thinkers who chart their own futures and excel in a diverse global society.
Northwest Academy’s core values guide the Board, administration, faculty and staff in their efforts to provide students with a challenging and unique education.
- Education in both academics and arts, results in a more complete and balanced individual who, while being productive, also leads an inspired and meaningful life.
- Talented faculty, passionate about their subject areas, and the support of free and open inquiry motivates students’ interest in learning and creative thinking.
- Student engagement, curiosity and creative thinking expand when nurtured by accomplished and energetic faculty who promote participation and welcome debate.
- Students thrive in an environment where both individuality and collaboration are encouraged and fostered.
- Proficiency-based placement enhances students’ motivation and initiative, while allowing a student to work through education at relatively accelerated or a more leisurely personal pace.
- Intellectual and artistic courage grow from a culture that stimulates fascination with ideas and diversity of perspective.
- Students achieve when they are guided to be self-reliant, intrinsically motivated and advocates for themselves.
- Students reach higher personal levels when they work in a psychologically safe environment, devoid of put-downs, ridicule, and social cliques. It is the school’s understanding that a student culture with these important values must be strategically developed and upheld.
- Creativity is one of the most important human qualities that must be nurtured if a student is to become adaptable during change.
- The school intends to recognize talent in its faculty, students and administrators. It will be an environment that nurtures and supports achievement, curiosity, risk-taking, hard work and questioning.