Portland, September 19th, 2015. Sunny skies welcomed nearly 1,000 supporters who joined forces to raise funds for United Cerebral Palsy of Oregon and SW Washington. At the starting line, the Portland State Viking had a chance to meet super-kid Rohen Zuniga and the Team from Advantis posed for a photo. Organizers are hoping they raise $100,000 by offering participants the choice of a 2.5 mile walk/roll – 5k run or 8k run. United Cerebral Palsy has been committed to advancing the independence, productivity and full citizenship of people with disabilities since 1955. Today the organization provides supports for adults, children, and families who experience cerebral palsy or other disabilities.
To adults we offer in-home, community connection and job supports.
For families, we assist in the navigation of raising a child with a developmental disability such as cerebral palsy from the time a diagnosis is received, and a connection to a support network of other families with similar experiences.
In June of 2014, we added in-home services for children which include attendant care, skills training and respite relief care for their parents.
Mission: To advance the independence, productivity, and full citizenship of people with cerebral palsy and other disabilities.
UCP Vision: “A Community for Everyone”
At UCP, we envision a community that values the same important ideas that we do:
- Full Inclusion: Individuals, regardless of the severity of their disability, are included in every aspect of life including home, school, workforce, and community.
- Empowerment: People with disabilities, and families of children with disabilities, have a right to make decisions about things that affect their lives. We help them identify their options and utilize the same means as anyone else in the community to achieve their choices.
- Family Solidarity: Families having a member with disabilities are supported so they may stay together and flourish.
- Diversity: All persons are valued and respected for their individual differences.
- Teamwork: It takes teamwork to produce positive results. The many people who contribute to our mission are appreciated, encouraged, and supported.