Portland, July 11th, 2015. Summer is the time that the generous supporters who bought items at Tucker-Maxon Elementary School auction enjoyed their purchases. For example, one donation brought the Transformer, “Optimus Prime” to visit the SE Portland school and entertain the kids. The school specializes in teaching deaf and hearing students together to promote strong speech skills. “This was an auction item for our school auction,” principal Linda Goodwin said. “So parents and friends and family signed up to make this happen.” Art work was also delivered as a thank you to sponsors.
The annual auction Celebrate the Sounds of Tucker was held on Saturday, April 25th at the Hilton downtown and raised a record $160,000 for the nonprofit.
The Tucker-Maxon School was founded in 1947 by a Harvard-educated attorney, Paul Boley, whose daughter became deaf at the age of 18 months due to meningitis. Initially, Paul Boley enrolled his daughter in the preschool program at Portland’s Hosford Public School for Deaf Children. At Hosford, he was introduced to instructor Alice Maxon who believed ‘Deaf children can talk.’ Boley dreamed of a small school in Portland where his daughter Barbara Ann and other deaf children could learn to speak. At the request of Boley, the then president of Cascades Plywood Corporation, Max Tucker, sponsored the school during its earliest years.
Tucker-Maxon has been ranked among the top schools in the country and valued for its innovative service and dedication to teaching hearing impaired and typical hearing children to speak, learn, laugh and sing together!