Portland, March 20th, 2015. The Grand Opening Celebration for PNCA’s Arlene and Harold Schnitzer Center for Art and Design at 511 NW Broadway went off without a hitch. It was an opportunity to officially preview the new Center for Art and Design. Through a $34 million transformation of a nearly century-old post office, the College is positioned at the heart of the city’s burgeoning creative corridor. Community leaders say the opening of the center will usher in a new era of art and design education in the Pacific Northwest. The expansion is expected to bring vitality to the North Park Blocks as well as the Old Town and Chinatown neighborhoods. (Photo credit, Mario Gallucci)
Pacific Northwest College of Art (PNCA) is a leading West Coast art and design college. Founded in Portland, Oregon in 1909, PNCA has helped shape the region’s visual art and design landscape for more than a century. PNCA students study with award-winning faculty in small classes. In the last seven years, the College has doubled both the student body and full-time faculty, quadrupled its endowment, and added innovative undergraduate and graduate programs. With the opening on the $32 million Arlene and Harold Schnitzer Center for Art and Design in 2015, Portland’s North Park Blocks becomes its new campus, which also encompasses its Museum of Contemporary Craft and ArtHouse student housing. This Portland creative corridor will now be home to hundreds of PNCA students, teachers, and staff.