Portland, September 23, 2013. The Oregon Community Foundation announced 17 recipients of the first-ever Fred Fields Scholarships. The annual, renewable scholarships are designed to increase access to higher education and training throughout Oregon by selecting one deserving enrolled student from each of Oregon’s 17 community colleges. The scholarship fund was initially created as one of the four strategies of the Foundation’s larger $15.5 million signature education initiative – a part of Fred W. Fields’ bequest to OCF in late 2011 and currently valued at more than $170 million. Fred Fields, the successful engineer and businessman and his wife, Sue, were great philanthropists, giving generously to organizations and causes they were passionate about, many focused on education and the arts. The Fred Fields Scholarship honors the Fields’ wishes by recognizing deserving students.
Recipients of 2013-2014 Fred Fields Scholarships are:
- Jonathan Allen: Graduated from North Valley High School and attends Rogue Community College. Currently pursuing a degree in manufacturing/engineering.
- Stacy Best: Will attend Tillamook Bay Community College and is pursuing an administrative assistant degree.
- Thomas Bridges: Graduated from Perrydale High School and will attend Chemeketa Community College. Plans to pursue an engineering degree.
- Robert Clayton: Studied at Umatilla High School and currently attends Linn-Benton Community College, pursuing a diesel tech certificate.
- Erin Fenison: Attends Clatsop Community College, pursuing a degree in business and graphic arts.
- Max Freund: Graduated from Cleveland High School and attends Mt. Hood Community College. He is pursuing an automotive technology degree.
- Mohamud Hussein: Attends Portland Community College, pursuing an electronics degree.
- Dawn Kayson: Studied at Klamath High School and attends Klamath Community College, pursuing degrees in accounting and finance.
- Jeffery Kesterson: Attends Clackamas Community College, pursuing degrees in engineering.
- Jason Lindsay: Studied at Lane Community College High School and attends Central Oregon Community College, pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering.
- Shelley Messersmith: Attends Columbia Gorge Community College and is pursuing liberal arts and psychology degrees.
- Charles Moorman: Attends Umpqua Community College and is enrolled in the welding certificate program.
- Rachael Mullican: Attends Blue Mountain Community College and is pursuing an administrative assistant degree.
- Ryan Smith: Graduated from Siuslaw High School and attends Treasure Valley Community College, studying finance and forestry.
- Steven Starr: Attends Lane Community College and is pursuing a degree in aviation.
- Isabella Stretch-Mendoza: Graduated from Toledo High School and attends Clatsop Community College.
- Glenda Turner: Graduated from Marshfield High School and attends Southwestern Oregon Community College, currently pursuing a degree in entrepreneurship.
Fred Fields Scholars are eligible to renew their scholarships annually upon meeting the necessary criteria. In addition to the Fred Fields Scholarship fund, OCF manages more than 330 scholarship funds that make higher education and training more accessible to all Oregonians. OCF has one of the largest scholarship programs of its kind in the country, awarding more than $6.7 million in 2012 through 2,400 scholarships. To learn more about the scholarship program, visit OCF Scholarships.